BLOOMINGTON — Two more alleged victims have come forward to accuse a Bloomington piano teacher of sexually abusing them as Bloomington police continue interviewing other potential victims.
In a court appearance Tuesday, Aaron Parlier was handed three more indictments charging him with aggravated criminal sexual abuse of two minors. Parlier now faces a total of 13 charges involving three alleged victims.
Assistant State's Attorney Jacob Harlow said a fourth alleged victim has been interviewed and more charges are anticipated based upon her statements to authorities. The fourth girl and Parlier are acquainted.
The 36-year-old defendant was in court for a motion to reduce his $1 million bond. Judge Robert Freitag denied the request by defense lawyer Kevin Sanborn to reduce bond to $10,000.
In his arguments to support the $1 million bond, Harlow laid out details of the allegations made so far by former students against Parlier.
Police began their investigation in September with a teenage girl who alleged during an interview at the McLean County Children's Advocacy Center that she was sexually abused as a teen during piano lessons.
During his interview with police at the CAC in December, Parlier admitted having a sexual relationship with another student and directing the former student interveiwed in September to play the piano while she was naked, Harlow told the judge.
Parlier's second alleged victim confirmed his admissions during her January meeting with authorities, said the prosecutor. The girl, who said she started taking lessons when she was 6, allegedly engaged in sexual activity with Parlier for about three years, starting when she was in seventh grade, said Harlow.
A third alleged victim told Bloomington police in January that Parlier touched her inappropriately during private lessons. The molestation stopped for a period of time after the girl's mother came to observe lessons, but resumed after the parent left the room, said Harlow.
The prosecutor said he learned this week that a fourth girl has recently talked with police about allegations involving Parlier.
In his arguments to reduce the bond, Sanborn denied accusations from the state that Parlier fled McLean County while the investigation was underway. Instead, he moved to Tazewell County to live with his wife after the two married in December, said Sanborn.
"They let him walk out of the police department," said Sanborn.
In rejecting the lower bond, the judge cited the serious nature of the charges and the apparent strength of the state's case based upon information divulged in court by Harlow.
"The strength of the case is good — if the evidence is true and admissible," said Freitag.
Parlier is due in court April 24 for a status hearing.