Scheduled to open in area theaters next weekend (Jan. 30) are:
- Black or White: Kevin Costner, still looking for that big midlife comeback vehicle a la Michael Keaton and “Birdman,” stars as a grieving widower who finds himself sucked into a custody battle over his biracial granddaughter, whom he raised from infancy after his daughter died in childbirth. Her African-American grandmother (Octavia Spencer) is now demanding that the child be returned to the custody of her father, a drug addict. Gillian Jacobs and Anthony Mackie co-star.
- Project Almanac: Science-fiction thriller in which a group of “My Science Project”-type teens discover the secret plans for a working time machine and set out to construct one of their own. Needless to say, things start to spin out of control … across space and time. Amy Landecker, Sofia Black-D'Elia and Virginia Gardner star.
- The Loft: Five married guys conspire to secretly share a penthouse loft in the city … all the better to carry out hidden affairs and indulge in their deepest fantasies. But the fantasy becomes a waking nightmare when they discover the dead body of an unknown woman in the loft, and they realize one of the group must be involved. James Marsden, Wentworth Miller, Karl Urban and Rhona Mitra star.
- 'Hoovey' update: The world premiere showing Jan. 31 of Hoovey at the Normal Theater has already sold out, for those who had planned on attending the red carpet event, which includes a pre-showing reception next door at the Marriott Hotel. Good news, though: the film will continue in an open run at the theater for as long as audience attendance holds up. In addition, there's been a change in the guest lineup, with actor Cody Linley, who has the title role, canceling due to a scheduling conflict. Added to the list, however, are actress-singer Alyson Stoner, who plays Hoovey's sister Jen Elliott, of “The Suite Life of Zack & Cody” fame; Echolight Pictures president Jeff Sheets; and Echolight CEO Rick Santorum.
- Gold digging: This week's edition of the Galaxy 14's Monday Classic Series is Alfred Hitchcock's 1959 masterpiece, North by Northwest, starring Cary Grant, Eva Marie Saint and James Mason. It's a movie that demands to be seen on the big screen. Showings are at 2 and 7:30 p.m.
- Freebies: The Princess Theatre in LeRoy will be screening the recent animated box office hit The Boxtrolls at 11 a.m. Saturday, sans admission charge.