Subscribe for 33¢ / day

DANVERS — A family of four escaped injury Sunday morning when a fire broke out at their rural Danvers property.

Firefighters managed to put the fire out before it reached the house at 849 Buffalo Run, owned by the William Ogg family. But the fire destroyed the attached three-car garage, said Danvers Fire Chief Greg Lemons.

Diana Ogg awoke early, and smelling smoke alerted her husband and two grown sons of the danger, he said. The smoke inside the home hadn't become strong enough to trigger the smoke detectors, said Lemons.

The cause of the fire hasn't been determined, he said. The residents' vehicles were parked on the driveway, so they weren't damaged, he said. But the garage did hold lawn and garden equipment.

"There's nothing suspicious at this time about the fire. … But the McLean County Sheriff's detectives and the Illinois State Fire Marshal are investigating it," which is standard procedure, he said.

Firefighters got the call about 6:10 a.m. Sunday. Danvers, Carlock, Stanford and Mackinaw volunteer fire departments responded to the scene, about 5 miles north of Danvers.

Icy roads hindered a speedy arrival time, said Lemons, who said about 40 firefighters began work at the scene about 6:25 a.m.

A damage estimate wasn't available Sunday, though Lemons said it likely could surpass $50,000.

0
0
0
0
0

Load comments