Subscribe for 33¢ / day

The new Normal Community High School looking at the south side.

NORMAL — Officials determined the natural gas odor in north Normal Tuesday was caused by a delivery of gas additive and there was no danger to those in the vicinity.

The smell of natural gas was detected in the area of NCHS Tuesday morning, according to a post on the McLean County Unit 5 Facebook page.

Normal Fire Department and Nicor Gas investigated the smell and determined it was not caused by a leak, but related to “a delivery of mercaptan, the odorant added to natural gas so leaks may be detected,” according to a statement from the Normal Fire Department.

The scent from the concentrated additive normally evaporates, but lingered and traveled farther due to the cold temperatures Tuesday, said the statement.

Unit 5 officials said NCHS students were not evacuated, were safe and proceeded with their schedules as usual per instructions from the fire department.