100 years ago
Jan. 18, 1915: Hal M. Stone and George F. Dick have opened a law office in the People’s Bank building. Mr. Stone just withdrew his candidacy for judge. Mr. Dick is a practicing attorney, son of the late Gen. George F. Dick.
75 years ago
Jan. 18, 1940: As the blizzard raged the other night, Mr. and Mrs. Max Ziebarth took in about 50 stranded travelers at their home north of Randolph. They left their frozen cars and followed the lights to the Ziebarth place. Mr. and Mrs. Ziebarth were ready for them.
50 years ago
Jan. 18, 1965: The state teachers college board approved $7.5 million for two 18-story dorms at ISU, to be built on the site of old Central School in Normal. The twin towers were designed by the Bloomington architectural firm Schaeffer, Wilson & Evans.
25 years ago
Jan. 18, 1990: Dickson Mounds, the American Indian burial site near Lewistown, is closing. Since the closing announcement, area schools are taking their last chances to see the exhibit. Twenty-two new field trips have been booked, and 8,000 visitors filed through last weekend.