100 years ago
May 17, 1911: The Hungarian Roller Mill on the West Side has been sold to Mr. Heberling and Mr. Mackenzie, both of Bloomington. In its previous sale not long ago, ownership had gone to a Chicago firm. The mill is the old Eagle Mill, reorganized as the Hungarian in 1889.
75 years ago
May 17, 1936: A giant Martin bomber, one of the army's largest, landed for a visit at the Bloomington airport. It can drop a ton of bombs from high altitude. The pilot was Lieutenant Harry Coursey, son of Mr. and Mrs. Edward C. Coursey, of Normal.
50 years ago
May 17, 1961: Harry Galloway, the Buick dealer, took over the Butts Ford dealership at 325 South Main Street. He will operate both businesses for now. Charles Butts, who had been the Ford dealer since 1951, will continue to run his used car lot on the south side.
25 years ago
May 17, 1986: The Super-X drug store chain is going to close two of its three local stores. The Main Street store will stay open, but those at College Hills Mall and 2507 East Oakland Avenue will close by August. Also, Kohl's is selling out its management team and three partners.