Try 1 month for 99¢
nl fire

Normal firefighters enter a home at 702 Normal Avenue after a fire broke out in the basement Thursday morning.

NORMAL — Three people had to be treated at a local hospital for smoke inhalation after a fire broke out in the basement of their Normal home Thursday morning.

Normal firefighters responded at 7:50 a.m. to the residence at 702 Normal Avenue.   

A fourth resident was out walking a dog when the fire broke out, said the NFD. Everyone inside had gotten out just before NFD crews arrived.

Fire investigators have determined the fire was an accident and originated in a basement bedroom.

Firefighters confronted thick smoke showing from outside the home when they arrived, said NFD. Firefighters entered the home, using two hose lines to bring the fire under control in about 15 minutes.

Firefighters rotated crews for an hour or so while they extinguished hot spots and ventilated smoke from the home. Ameren also responded to the scene to secure the electrical service to the home.

And, the Normal Water Department shut off the water service, since heat from the fire melted portions of the plumbing in the basement resulted in flooding. 

Paramedics at the scene transported three residents to the hospital for treatment of minor injuries and smoke inhalation. None of the injuries are considered to be life threatening.

The person walking the dog returned home shortly after the fire was reported.

Firefighters also found two kittens inside the home and were able to save them, using pet oxygen masks.

The fire caused extensive damage to the basement level. The home is insured and the residents have made arrangements for lodging until the home is safe to live in again, said NFD.

There is no damage estimate available at this time. 

Subscribe to Daily Headlines

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.
0
1
0
2
0

Load comments