BLOOMINGTON — A 70-year-old woman has become McLean County's first victim of coronavirus.
The McLean County Health Department was notified of her death by the Illinois Department of Public Health, officials said Sunday.
The individual, female in her 70s, tested positive for COVID-19 earlier this week and was in intensive care. Authorities at the county and state levels did not release any information Sunday about new cases in McLean County or elsewhere in Central Illinois, although the state number jumped to 1,049 confirmed cases and nine deaths.
“We are deeply saddened by this loss. Within McLean County government, our hearts go out to the family and friends who are mourning the loss of their loved one. We cannot even begin to understand how they feel, and we send our sincerest condolences,” McLean County Health Department Administrator Jessica McKnight said in a statement.
Illinois Department of Public Health Director Ngozi Ezike said the state's new cases include one infant. The cases are spread across 30 counties and range from ages younger than 1 to 99.
In Central Illinois, confirmed cases also have been reported in Livingston, Tazewell, Woodford, Christian, Champaign and Sangamon counties.
The county statement further said the woman's death should "remind the public of the importance of social distancing and other COVID-19 prevention recommendations. Furthermore, this death shows how critical it is for all of us to follow Governor Pritzker’s shelter-in-place order which went into effect at 5 p.m. Saturday."
Contact Kevin Barlow at (309) 820-3238. Follow him on Twitter: @pg_barlow
Concerned about COVID-19?
Sign up now to get the most recent coronavirus headlines and other important local and national news sent to your email inbox daily.