Skip to main content
You have permission to edit this article.
Social Security Q&A

Social Security Q&A

  • Updated
  • 0

Q: I can’t find my Medicare card and I need a replacement. Do I need to come into the office?

A: You can get your Medicare card replaced without leaving your home. Just go online to and get your new Medicare card sent to your home. Simply fill out the requested information and you’ll get your new Medicare card within 30 days; it will be mailed to your address on record. If you need temporary proof of Medicare coverage, call our toll-free number at 800-772-1213 to request a letter and you will receive it in the mail within 7 to 10 days. If you need immediate proof of your Medicare coverage, please visit your local Social Security office.

Q: How do I change my citizenship status on Social Security’s records?

A: To change your citizenship status shown in Social Security records:

Complete an application for a Social Security card (Form SS-5), which you can find online at

Then locate documents proving your new or revised citizenship status. Only certain documents can be accepted as proof of citizenship. These include your U.S. passport, a Certificate of Naturalization, or a Certificate of Citizenship. If you are not a U.S. citizen, Social Security will ask to see your current immigration documents); age; and identity.

Then, take (or mail) your completed application and documents to your local Social Security office or card center.

All documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents. For more information, visit

This column was prepared by the Social Security Administration.


Be the first to know

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.


News Alerts

Breaking News