Skip to main content
You have permission to edit this article.
Family of Illinois woman who drank sanitizer sues firm that made it
editor's pick topical

Family of Illinois woman who drank sanitizer sues firm that made it

  • Updated
  • 15

ST. LOUIS — The family of an Illinois woman who died last year after drinking hand sanitizer contaminated with methanol is suing the company that made the product.

The federal lawsuit filed Friday in St. Louis says the St. Louis County Medical examiner determined that Kayla Stagner's death was caused by acute methanol intoxication, and a bottle of Blumen Advanced Instate Sanitizer that was tested in connection with the autopsy contained dangerous levels of methanol. Stagner died last May at a St. Louis area hospital.

How the death of a Rockford woman who died after reporting abuse exposed weakness in justice system

The lawsuit said Stagner, who was an alcoholic, is believed to have drank the Blumen hand sanitizer, which was recalled last year after officials determined that it contained methanol. Significant methanol exposure can cause nausea, vomiting, blindness and death, particularly if it is ingested.

Officials at 4e Brands Northamerica, which made the sanitizer, didn't respond immediately to questions about the lawsuit from the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

Stagner, 32, who lived in Jersey County, Illinois, was born in St. Louis. She was working as a preschool teacher at the time of her death.


Be the first to know

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

However, the union said the district's latest offer that came Saturday night required further review. "We do not yet have an agreement with Chicago Public Schools," CTU tweeted on Sunday. "We will continue with our democratic process of rank-and-file review throughout the day before any agreement is reached."

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.


News Alerts

Breaking News