Subscribe for 33¢ / day

NORMAL — In an unusual move, Illinois State University officials considered the man named as a suspect in Olamide Adeyooye's death to be a threat and banned him from campus two months before she died.

Police officers handed a letter Aug. 17 to Maurice L. Wallace, 27, who was not an ISU student, that said he was not welcome on campus.

The letter from Helen Mamarchev, vice president of student affairs, followed reports in the last five years that Wallace was kicked out of several buildings, banned from specific areas of campus and accused of theft and harassment on separate occasions.

'"I am taking this action based on serious allegations pending against you that suggest that your presence on this campus constitutes a threat to the members of the Illinois State University community," Mamarchev's letter says.

The letter adds if Wallace is found on ISU property, he'd be "subject to arrest for criminal trespass." No such charge has been filed against Wallace since the letter was written.

Adeyooye, a 21-year-old senior from the Chicago suburb of Berkeley, was last seen alive Oct. 13, and her body was discovered Oct. 21 in a burned down chicken house in rural Mississippi.

Wallace, who is held in lieu of $54,000, has not been charged in her death.

But he is accused of stealing about $500 from a former roommate Oct. 14 and threatening a man, grabbing two women's buttocks and stealing a bottle of wine Oct. 9.

The letter and ISU police reports from eight incidents were given to The Pantagraph on Tuesday under the Illinois Freedom of Information Act. The last report accuses him of stealing food July 5 from a campus cafeteria.

University spokesman Jay Groves said ISU typically issues about one such letter every one or two years.

He declined to comment on Wallace's case, but said the letters are sent if a person is considered a danger to themselves or others in the campus community.

The town of Normal has declined to release some police reports involving Wallace, but information given indicates officers encountered him at least several times in recent years.

In Bloomington, police spokesman Duane Moss said the only report he found involving Wallace relates to a fight about 2 a.m. Aug. 14 in the 500 block of North Main Street.

Moss said one man told police his friend and Wallace began arguing and Wallace punched the friend and put him in a headlock. Wallace and the friend hit each other until police spotted them and stopped the fight, he said.

None of the men wanted to press charges, but one man was arrested on an unrelated warrant, Moss said.

Other ISU police reports say:

• Wallace was told to leave the Student Recreation Building in August 2001 after repeated incidents of him making sexual comments to female employees, complaining about the lack of black employees in the building and complaining that he felt oppressed.

• Police removed Wallace from the Bone Student Center in September 2001 after they were told he harassed people in a lounge and refused employee demands to leave.

• Wallace told officers he was living out of two lockers at Horton Field House after he was caught using showers at the facility in September 2001. He was arrested because of a previous ban from the building.

Wallace, whose last known address was the 900 block of Market Street in Normal, was arrested Oct. 20 in Atlanta, Ga., on the Oct. 14 theft charge. Adeyooye's car was found last month in Atlanta, and her apartment was in the same block as his.

A Normal police report says Wallace's credit card was used the day after Adeyooye disappeared to buy about $31 worth of gas in Mansfield, which is along Interstate 74 near Champaign. A spokeswoman for the Illinois Secretary of State's Office said Wallace did not have any vehicles registered with her office.


Load comments