RENO, Nev. (AP) - A golfer's attempt to get out of the rough and back on the fairway started a grass fire that burned about 20 acres near a golf course, officials said.
The golfer had knocked his ball into dry grass beyond the course on Monday afternoon, officials said. When he tried to play back to the fairway, his club struck something that created a spark.
"He was totally honest about it," said Reno Battalion Chief Curtis Johnson.
About 50 firefighters responded to the blaze as it spread through tinder-dry grass, and engine trucks were brought in to protect nearby homes.
No buildings were damaged and no one was injured, officials said.