Kids and dogs
The American Humane Association and Illinois Department of Health offer these tips for interaction between kids and animals:
- Don’t treat a dog unkindly;
- Don’t bother a dog when she is busy with puppies, playing with toys, eating or sleeping;
- Don’t approach a dog you don’t know;
- Be calm and move slowly. Don’t run;
- If a loose dog approaches you, stand still, stay quiet and calm;
- If you are on the ground, curl into a ball and keep your hands over your head. Don’t look at the dog.
- Do not approach unfamiliar, stray or wild animals;
- Keep dogs leashed when they’re not inside a fence;
- Supervise children playing with pets;
- Enroll a new dog into an obedience class;
- If your dog is aggressive, talk to your veterinarian.